At walk-in centres and access centres you can be seen for minor injuries such as;
- infections and rashes
- blood pressure checks
- fractures and lacerations
- emergency contraception and advice
- vomitting and diarrhoea
- hay fever
- insect and animal bites
- stitches (sutures)
- dressing care
- minor cuts and bruises
- minor burns and strains
- Stop smoking support
At most walk-in centres you do not need to make an appointment but it is worth telephoning in advance to check that you can be treated – particularly for young children. At nurse led clinics you can be treated for minor conditions, have dressings changed and wounds checked. Call ahead for a full list of the services available.
There are walk-in centres and drop in services at:
- Newcastle – Westgate Walk-in Centre, at Newcastle General Hospital, open 8am -10pm, seven days a week including bank holidays. No appointment is needed. Telephone 0191 256 3163.
- Newcastle – Molineux Street Walk-in Centre, based at the Molineux Street NHS Centre, off Shields Road, Byker. Open 8.00am – 8.00pm, seven days a week, including bank holidays. No appointment needed. Tel: 0191 275 5862
- Newcastle – Ponteland Road Health Centre,169 Ponteland Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE5 3AE. Open 8am to 8pm seven days a week. Tel: 0191 271 9030 or visit www.pontelandroadhc.co.uk
- Northumberland – Wansbeck Primary Care Access Centre, based next to accident and emergency on the Wansbeck General Hospital Site, is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6.30pm but closed on bank holidays. Please call ahead to make an appointment on 01670 529 205.
- North Tyneside – Battle Hill Walk-in Centre, Battle Hill Health Centre, Belmont Close, Wallsend, NE28 9DX. Open 8am to 8pm seven days a week. Tel: 0191 295 8520 or visit: www.battlehillhc.co.uk